One of the topics of discussion when I was a guest on BBC Radio Scotland Kitchen Cafe last week was new year new recipes. We asked the question - what dish would you like to master this year? Answers ranged from basics like roast beef, omelettes and stovies to donuts, Thai curry and ravioli. This got me to thinking of my own foodie new years resolutions which are more along the lines of dishes I'd like to make for the first time. The list as it stands is as follows - macarons, smoothie bowl, bundt cake, gazpacho and baking a cake/something sweet in my slow cooker.
I reckoned I may as well strike when the iron is hot and make a start at what's probably one of the easier things to tick off the list - a smoothie bowl. Six months ago I didn't even know what one was! Basically its a thick smoothie, served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon. It's often decorated with fruit, cereals, nuts, seeds and suchlike. I made mine for breakfast and it certainly seemed much more filling than a regular smoothie. I reckon that's partly due to the thickness and the addition of toppings but also due to the fact that you have to sit down and take your time to eat it with a spoon.
Mango, Pineapple and Coconut Tropical Smoothie Bowl
150g Frozen Mango Chunks (alternatively use fresh mango and a handful of ice)
2 slices tinned Pineapple
4 Tbsp Coconut Yoghurt
1/2 Banana, sliced
Blitz together all the smoothie ingredients in a blender, smoothie maker or stick blender. Add a splash of the pineapple juice or water if it's too thick.
Pour into a bowl and decorate with your toppings.
Grab a spoon and enjoy.
Here are 10 more delicious sounding Smoothie Bowl recipes from fellow food bloggers who jumped on the bandwagon long before me!
- Strawberry & Basil Fruit Soup - Munchies & Munchkins
- Tropical Fruity Smoothie Bowl with Hidden Veg - Eats Amazing
- Simple Summer Smoothie Bowl - Rough Measures
- Superfood Energy-Packed Breakfast Smoothie Bowl - The Petite Cook
- Red Berry & Coconut Smoothie Bowl - Tin & Thyme
- Super Food Smoothie Bowl with Lean Greens - Veggie Deserts
- Watermelon Smoothie Bowl - Eats Amazing
- Smoothie Bowl - Hungry Healthy Happy
- Breakfast Green Thickie - Fuss Free Flavours
- Banana & Apple Butterscotch Green Smoothie Bowl - Celery & Cupcakes