We get through a LOT of Nutella in the Foodie Quine house. Or rather my daughter does. She would eat it morning, noon and night given half the chance. If I could remember where I first spotted the idea of Nutella IN pancakes as opposed to ON pancakes I'd give due credit but I'm afraid I can't. It is however all over Pinterest in various shapes and forms. This is how we made our first ever batch. The idea is far from mine but this is our version.
My basic pancake recipe is my Grandmothers (she of the famous Grandma Monearn's Shortbread) hence the imperial measurements. I've never got around to converting it to matric. If it ain't broke don't fix it. We made this on holiday in Galloway where the accommodation we were staying had an Aga hence we cooked them straight on the hot plates. Before anyone comments that the recipe says to cook on a girdle as opposed to a griddle, in Scotland that really is the correct word. You can use a frying pan or griddle.
GIRDLE, n. A met. form of Eng. griddle, a circular iron plate with hooped handle, suspended or placed over the fire and used for baking scones, oat-cakes, etc.
Nutella IN Pancakes
4oz Plain Flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/2 tsp Bicarb of Soda
Pinch of salt
1 beaten egg
Freeze teaspoonful sized discs of Nutella on a silicone sheet or baking parchment, we left them overnight to solidify.
To make the pancakes sieve together all the dry ingredients and make a well. Add beaten egg and mix. Gradually add milk whisking well until you reach a dropping consistency.
Preheat a buttered girdle or frying pan on the hob.
Spoon on the batter to the desired size and place on a Nutella disc. Top with more batter and cook as normal
Once the pancake starts to bubble turn over with a palette knife to cook the other side.
Put in between a folded tea towel on a cooling rack to keep warm.
Don't eat straight off the girdle as the filling is seriously HOT!
Following on from the success of this recipe I'm now going to try incorporating other frozen things into pancakes. I'm thinking peanut butter for starters. Any other suggestions? If you're a Nutella lover there are a baker's dozen more fab recipies below from fellow food bloggers which also feature the addictive chocolate spread. To share the love for my verion of Nutella IN Pancakes I've created a vertical image below to show all the steps. If Pinterest is your thing that's the one to share.
- Nutella French Toast - Tin & Thyme
- Chocolate Crepes with Nutella & Mixed Berries - Supergolden Bakes
- Nutella Shortbread - Family Friends Food
- Mini Pancake Stacks with Nutella & Strawberries - Supper in the Suburbs
- Nutella Cinnamon Rolls - Little Sunny Kitchen
- Nutella Brioche Pudding - Fab Food 4 All
- 3 Ingreedient Nutella Cake & 4 Ingreedient Nutella Brownies - Munchies & Munchkins
- Nutella Tart - The Petite Cook
- Chocolate Hazelnut Layer Cake - Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary
- Nutella Macarons - Emily's Recipes and Reviews
- Banana & Chocolate Quesadilla - Fab Food 4 All
- Nutella Bread & Butter Pudding - Family Friends Food
- Nutella Peanut Butter Banana Muffins - Little Sunny Kitchen