I've been a wee bit slow off the mark in getting my next Foraging event onto the blog. 10 out of the 40 places are already sold so if you fancy joining me and fun guy (sorry!) Mark Williams I'd advise booking your place sooner rather than later as this is sure to be another sell out. Book via the widgets at the end of the post or on my Eventbrite Page
Guided Fungi Forage
Mark Williams of Galloway Wild Foods
Saturday 11th October 2014
1pm - 5pm
Sunday 12th October 2014
10am - 2pm
£50 per person, £25 children age 8-16
Join Aberdeen food blogger Claire Jessiman and expert forager, and long-term fungi obsessive, Mark Williams of Galloway Wild Foods for an amazing journey into the sometimes deadly, occasionally delicious, and always fascinating world of fungi.
Mark has selected a fascinating area of woodland in easy reach of Aberdeen (< 30 minutes drive to the west of the city) with an amazing diversity of trees and habitats that will give us the best possible chance of learning about a wide range of edible, poisonous and useful fungi. While it is never possible to say exactly what fungi we will find, we can be assured of at least 30 species.
Note: The exact location for the walk will be provided after booking
What can you expect to learn?
- Find and identify important fungi species
- How to spot the dangerously poisonous mushroom families and species
- The anatomy of fungi: important features
- Remarkable and important jobs fungi perform in nature
- Tips from an experienced forager on how to home in on and confidently identify the the best gourmet species
- Expand your existing knowledge
- Medicinal, craft and bushcraft uses of fungi
- Fungi folklore and tales of foraging derring-do
- Meet the tastiest and the deadliest fungi up close
- How to harvest, clean, prepare and preserve mushrooms
- Mushroom cooking tips and recipes
- Other autumn wild foods including plants, fruits etc
The event will consist of:
- Up to 2 miles over about 2.5 hours gentle walking, mostly on easy paths, sometimes muddy, with occasional options for the adventurous to delve into the undergrowth!
- Suitable for children over 8 and adults of moderate fitness.
- Wild tasters and treats during the walk from Mark and Claire.
- A wild cook-in in the forest afterwards (1 hour) - a chance to taste some of the wild food we have encountered. Please note - this is not a full meal.
PLEASE NOTE: There are no toilets or shelter at the location - please come prepared for 4 hours in the woods. This means: stout footwear (wellies or walking boots), waterproofs, warm clothes, drinks, snacks. Your enjoyment may also be enhanced by bringing a camera, notebook, penknife, cloth bag or basket.
Please be aware that no refunds will be issued for this event in any circumstance other than its cancellation.
Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate children under the age of 8
No dogs please